Friday, May 16

Due Recourse


Friday a week ago, following the MAF Policy Conference and after several weeks of a grueling process including a panel interview, I found out that the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry hired me for a permanent role. I've accepted the position of MSO-Records in Wellington at MAF! I walked out that evening and shared a quietly joyous weekend with Beth, culminating in dinner out together on my 36th birthday. The tumult and insecurity of the last six months drained slowly away, and is being replaced by a necessity of purpose.
This follows our being invited to apply for Residence by NZ Immigration this season. This and the faith shown by my bosses in hiring me into a regular vacancy aids my confidence that the process go well in the coming months. Slowly, Beth and I have stacked a pretty good deck and await only the faceless beurocracy of NZ Immigration now. Here's hoping the current scandal over nepotism by it's head will not adversely effect us.
After joblessness, the most troubling foe has been Landlord Leaky's Moldatorium: a.k.a. our place.. Following the completion of our 6 month lease in early June, Beth and I are moving just over the hill to a sunny flat in Crofton Downs. That's the first stop on the train. Come by sometime, there's room.
Much of this has been hatched and plotted (Hell, all of it was) over the last few months. Dreams to reality. An example of Beth's efforts sown are birthing this weekend in her participation in the 48 Hour film festival that's taking place ( I believe worldwide) this weekend. She can tell you more about that. Mine will be borne on the wings of a jet airliner next month for a visit back to the home territories. I'm hammering out the details but, spirits willing, it will take a similar format to past tours. Cincinnati->Champaign->Denver are on notice!
I do this because we (I anyway, for the moment) can. Beth has little vacation time and will remain in Wellington. I bear little faith that the cost or ease of travel that the last generation has enjoyed will continue. Conversely, my love for friends and family is a greater motivator in the choice to do this now.

See you soon...

No comments: