Friday, July 8

When I was a young girl I remember getting a charge out of teasing the neighbor dogs from behind the fence. My parents would yell at me to stop with warnings of, "You'll be sorry when that dog gets out from behind that fence." Had I been bitten, although they would have tended my wounds, admonished the owner for letting the dog escape, and tested the animal for rabies, they would not have felt very sorry for me knowing that I had antagonized the creature and goaded it into attack - my innocent bystander arms taking the injuries brought on by my asshole brain. I thought about it and learned not to antagonize potentially rabid dogs (or poke hornets' nests, or stick my hand down a badger hole, or see how much I can make a snake rattle).

While my heart breaks for London and it's tragedy, I can't help thinking how much better off we would be had our leaders learned these simple childhood truths.

Namaste
BNR

4 comments:

Mike said...

While I appreciate the concept of Anti-Antogonism, I don't see the connection between that and the London Bombing. The indicators from the investigation so far show an obvious connnection to other attacks by Al-Quida or similar well-known terrorists groups. Retaliation against the groups has not been well organized or forcefull, and we and Britain have been lax in enforcing rules against other countries such as Afghanistan for harboring and supporting such groups. But how does that relate to antagonism?

Arq said...

Beaner
As you may remember, my fine friend McTom and I found solace in the belief that life (or a better version of ourselves) is made upon Unlearning. Which don't come easy.
Wether that's a product of our biologic programming, our societal stuff, well that's another thread.

beaner said...

The state of our world today is very much a result of imperialistic, antagonistic, American and British forgein policy.

X Bethlehem said...

i tend to agree with bean: an aggressive nation that is surprised at a retaliation hasn't learned that actions have consequences.