Monday, January 14

A Job in New Zealand

Work here is not like what I'm used to.
What I'm used to is I'm sure half my own mental constructs, defined as the manifestations of a severely hyperactive and paranoid work ethic, and half realtime work demands, but they generally added up to a 9-10 hour workday composed of furiously juggling projects and deadlines while trying to keep up with a constant influx of emails and daily meetings, countered by extra-long sneakaway lunches and therapy-type shopping excursions. All of this was somewhat lightened when I was presented with better management, but unfortunately, this only came for me in my career in the few short months before I left on this journey.

So New Zealand work is different. And I'm told it's not just my job that is different, but the style of work in this country, as a whole. "Take it easy" is the mantra, coffee breaks are the rule. So many points to outline; let me count the ways:
  1. Tea time, twice a day, which everyone takes. This is really the equivalent of the 2 15-minute breaks that we all know we're supposed to have every day, but that I know I never took in my corporate workday. I always thought standing around chatting makes you look like a slacker. It's so much more legit to surf the internet all day, flipping back to MS Word every time someone comes into your cube.
  2. Besides the implied teas, the boss holds a weekly tea where we all sit around in the canteen and chat about ourselves. Personal stuff is exchanged, announced to the whole group, like, "how's the home sale going?" or "your arse was wiped in that rugby game at lunchtime." I intend to push these questions to get as much information as I can out of my co-workers.
  3. ok, and beyond organized tea time, the computer freezes up every 15 minutes or so and forces a "Workpace break" of about 15 seconds. After about 3 of these, the computer goes even further and offers about 2 minutes of pictures and instructions on stretches and exercises you can do at your desk, followed by 3 more minutes of mandatory break time, I guess to catch a quick nap.
  4. Getting used to not using z's in my words, such as organise and utilise.
  5. In the kitchen: a stock of plates, bowls, and real silverware, and a dishwasher. And everyone uses them. Free trade coffee and tea, and filtered water (granted, available at most workplaces, but built into the kitchen faucets here).
  6. Ties and collared shirts for the men, the most cleavage possible to show for the women. It's really nice not having to worry about my bra showing because of my neckline or a shirt that's a little too sheer for once, because just about everyone is worse.
  7. Working with people named Rowena, Shone, Philippa, and Hamish.
  8. I understand there are the occasional cook-offs between the different groups on my office floor. Pot lucks in the states required the admin ordering something from catering, because everyone else brought chips and salsa, or grocery store baked goods. But people are proud of cooking in these parts.
  9. Just like what I'm used to, things don't often get done when you ask for help. Unlike the states, everyone is so polite here that a common response is to just shrug and laugh about it, rather than go for the gutteral. I think there could be more going for the gutteral.
  10. I've seen people coming back from lunch barefoot, and staying that way for the remainder of the workday. Remember, I work for the government.
So, life is pretty good. Or at least pretty interesting.

No comments: